Transferring Research Funds

Transferring Funds to UBC

The Office of Research Services (ORS) can assist with the transfer of research funds to UBC from a Principal Investigator at another institution.

In order to facilitate this, you will need to provide copies of the following pages from your original proposal, as well as a completed UBC Research Project Information Form (RPIF):

  • Front page
  • Signature page
  • Summary or abstract
  • All budget pages, including justification;
  • Any documents relating to matching funds to collaborators
  • For projects using humans/animals/biohazards, an individual Certificate of Approval for each grant from the appropriate UBC Committee referencing the exact project title and sponsor.

To transfer funds from sponsored research contracts and agreements with government, industry or non-profit sponsors please contact the University-Industry Liaison Office for assistance.

Transferring Funds to External Co-investigators

If you are a Principal Investigator on a grant with one or more co-applicants at other institutions, ORS can assist with the transfer of funds from UBC to those external partners by preparing a sub-grant agreement (provided the sponsor’s terms and conditions or guidelines permit the issuance of sub-grants).

The Principal Investigator must notify ORS to initiate the preparation of the Sub-grant Agreement, which involves the completion and submission of a Request for Issue of a Subgrant form (under “Financial Forms”). Please send the completed form via email to:

  • Bryan Wong (Arts, Forestry, Land and Food Systems, Sauder School of Business);
  • Phoebe Lu (Education, Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences);
  • Dmitriy Ryabika (Applied Science, Dentistry, Peter A. Allard School of Law, Science);
  • Susan O’Neil (VCHRI); or

Allow up to 4-6 weeks for sub-grant transfers to be processed between the institutions involved. Note that the transfer of funds will only be initiated if there is enough funding in the PI's UBC account to cover the transfer.

Transferring Funds to Internal Co-investigators

Contact the Office of Research Services if you wish to transfer funds to a UBC co-applicant. Note that the transfer of funds will only be initiated if there is enough funding in your account to cover the transfer.