Investigators applying for grant funding must follow specific procedures for collecting the required institutional signatures and submitting a proposal to a funding agency.
Before submitting a proposal, you must understand the specific requirements of your faculty, department or unit; the University, including the Indirect Costs of Research and a completed UBC Research Project Information Form; and the funding agency, whose requirements may vary across specific programs.
When all requirements are met, the Office of Research Services will provide the institutional signature, confirming that University officials have reviewed the proposal, that it meets internal and agency requirements, and that all documents are ready for submission.
University Policy LR2 (Research) requires signatures from the following university officials, in the following order, on all proposals for research funding. All university signatures are required, even when pre-printed forms do not have the appropriate spaces.
- Principal Applicant;
- Department Head or Director of a School or Institute;
- Director of the approved UBC Centre or Institute where the project is primarily conducted (if applicable);
- Dean of Faculty (not required on proposals originating in the Faculty of Applied Science, Faculty of Science or School of Kinesiology, unless the UBC researcher's appointment status falls under section 4.1.2 or 4.1.4 of Policy LR2, in which case Dean's signature is required regardless of faculty);
- Director of Research Services, on behalf of the UBC President (A very few external agencies or certain programs may also specifically require the signature of the President - i.e., no delegated signatory is accepted. The President will sign after the Dean and before the Director of Research Services. Please allow 4 working days as turnaround time and contact Patricia Stevens (604-822-0663) to request the President’s signature.)
The following sections of the proposal must be supplied by the ORS internal deadline in order to obtain the institutional signature:
- Title Page;
- Agency Signature Page (if this page is applicable);
- Abstract or Summary of Proposed Project;
- Agency Ethics Certification Requirements Page;
- Budget summary and all accompanying financial information;
- All letters of support or commitment from UBC, collaborating companies or other institutions;
- A signed Research Project Information Form;
- Applications to industry must include a complete copy of the application.
Once ORS has signed, the researcher then submits the application to the agency. This may involve making duplicate copies and incurring mailing or courier fees.
Obtaining the signatures for your grant can be complex and time-consuming, so please ensure that you allow adequate time for this process.