UBC now subscribes to a powerful new research tool in Elsevier's SciVal. Funding has been provided by the VP Research and Innovation and the Provost.
SciVal is a bibliometric tool, which provides a comprehensive overview of the world’s research (publication and citation) at the institutional level. It has the largest abstract and citation of research information 19,500+ active titles from more than 5,000 international publishers including coverage of: Life Sciences, Health Sciences, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts and Humanities. SciVal provides easy and flexible access to the research performance of 4,600 research institutions worldwide.
Go to: www.SciVal.com and click on Register Now
Note: Access to SciVal is provided to all under the UBC umbrella through your IP address. For Off-campus Users, please use EZproxy If you are unable to gain access to the site, please email Tania Chen with your IP address.
Useful Resource: SciVal User Guide
Who benefits from using SciVal and why?
- Individual researchers - Track their research publication performance/citation impact, identify potential collaborators, analyze growth areas of research, etc.
- Department heads - Track department performance, identify and analyze areas of research strength, whole department research performance, compare peer departments and identifying new, emerging areas.
- Deans/Faculties - Inform strategic planning activities, identify areas of research strength, evaluate individual PI, Department, Faculty and research institute performance, compare to peer Faculties, accelerate institutional and cross-institutional collaboration, demonstrate researchers’ expertise and identify hiring and collaborative opportunities.
Use SciVal tools to:
- Gain immediate access to the world's research
- View a ready-made, at-a-glance snapshot of your research performance at all levels
- Benchmark your performance against any set of peers
- Model-test “what if” scenarios by creating virtual teams and newly emerging research areas
- Create publication sets for grant applications and reporting
- Establish collaborative partnerships locally or globally
- Track and monitor data on a weekly basis to stay up-to-date with market changes
Access is provided to all three SciVal modules:
- Overview: Ready-made, at-a-glance snapshots of any selected entity
- Benchmark: Flexibility to create and compare any research groups
- Collaboration: Identify and analyze existing and potential collaboration opportunities