CIHR’s eSubmission process for programs participating in the e-approval process requires UBC Office of Research Services (ORS) to electronically approve applications via ResearchNet after the Nominated Principal Applicant has submitted the application. For information on how to use ResearchNet, refer to the “How to Apply” section of the funding opportunity and the relevant application checklist.
As of May 15, 2018, all CIHR application participants (Nominated Principal Applicant, Principal Knowledge User, Knowledge User, Principal Applicant, Program Leader, Project Leader, Co-Applicant, Project Expert, Primary Supervisor, Program Expert, Supervisor) must complete the new Equity and Diversity Questionnaire before the eSubmission deadline. Applicants listed as “Collaborators” are not required to complete the questionnaire.
Programs participating in the e-approval process include, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge Synthesis Grant
- Partnerships for Health System Improvement (PHSI)
- Collaborative Health Research Projects (NSERC Partnered)
- Foundation Grant
- Project Grant
- CIHR Doctoral Research Award
- CIHR Fellowship
- CIHR New Investigator Salary Award
During major competition periods (February to April and mid-August to November) and for all US funding proposals, ORS requires a minimum of five (5) working days in advance of the competition deadline to allow for proper administrative review. Otherwise, ORS requires two (2) full working days in advance of the sponsor competition deadline.
The application must be prepared using ResearchNet. Adhere to the acceptable application formats and attachments guidelines.
The Nominated Principal Applicant must print and obtain signatures from other participants (i.e., other Principal Applicants, Co-Applicants, Knowledge Users, Supervisors, etc.) and the Institution that will administer the funds (i.e., UBC ORS). In the “Institution Paid” field, type “CAAA” in the dropdown list to ensure UBC is selected as your institution. For the “Location of Project” field, select the institution where the project will take place (e.g., VCHRI, BCCA).
The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) is no longer required to sign the application submitted through ResearchNet. By submitting the ResearchNet application, the NPA is abiding by CIHR’s “Meaning of Signatures” detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
If you are a co-applicant on a grant application initiated by a PI at another institution, you must submit a copy of the application with required UBC signatures for ORS review, even though the application is being submitted to the agency by another institution. ORS does not need to approve the application online but must still review a copy of the application.
Please check with your grant facilitator regarding faculty-specific requirements and/or deadlines.
You can e-mail or drop off the pages to the appropriate ORS location. Note that these pages are retained at ORS and will not be returned to you and that the documents submitted to ORS are identical to your ResearchNet submission.
- A signed UBC Research Project Information Form
- Page 1 and 2 of the CIHR Application Detail sections (download from ResearchNet under “Preview Application Materials")
- CIHR Applicant Signature pages including:
- CIHR Routing Slip
- CIHR Applicant Signature pages - all signature areas must be signed, including non-UBC co-applicant
- CIHR Institutional page - no ink signature is required from UBC ORS because the institution is participating in the Electronic Approval Project. This means that when ORS approves your application online and submits it to CIHR via ResearchNet, the Institution/Authorized Individual is abiding by the “Meaning of Signatures” detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
- Summary of Research Proposal page
- Budget modules and justification (download from ResearchNet under Application Materials – Preview budget documents)
- Signed Form 183A, signed letter of support, CIHR Partnership Detail page, if applicable
- In the case of cooperative projects, any letters of support or commitment from collaborating companies or institutions.
To do this, the Nominated Principal Applicant must upload the CIHR Routing Slip, all the SIGNED Signature Pages and a blank CIHR Institution signature page. Note that uploading the signature pages eliminates the need for mailing the hard copy signatures to CIHR by the CIHR deadline date. “Verify” to ensure the application is complete. At this point, you can also save your entire file as a pdf for your records (highly recommended). Then click “Submit” to submit application to ORS.
Note that ORS cannot view or approve your application until you have submitted it online. At this point in the process, ResearchNet will email you a confirmation number.
CIHR will not follow up with PIs who submit an incomplete application; the application is simply withdrawn from the competition. For more information, review the CIHR Policy on Complete Applications.
If all requirements are met, ORS approves it online. ORS has read-only access to your application and cannot make changes, so if it’s not approved, ORS will return it to you for changes. ORS is no longer required to physically sign the application submitted through ResearchNet.
ResearchNet automatically forwards it to CIHR. You will receive an e-mail from ResearchNet confirming that CIHR has received your application. No changes can be made to your application once it has been submitted to CIHR.
- Ensure all required signatures are on the signature pages of the application.
- Ensure the Routing Slip is attached.