Please follow CIHR’s application procedures described in the “How to Apply” section of the funding opportunity.
As of May 15, 2018, all CIHR application participants (Nominated Principal Applicant, Principal Knowledge User, Knowledge User, Principal Applicant, Program Leader, Project Leader, Co-Applicant, Project Expert, Primary Supervisor, Program Expert, Supervisor) must complete the new Equity and Diversity Questionnaire before the eSubmission deadline. Applicants listed as “Collaborators” are not required to complete the questionnaire.
Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 8:30 a.m. PT
UBC internal application deadline
See procedure #4 below. You may continue to work on your online application after you have submitted the required paperwork to ORS.
Monday, October 28, 2019, 12:00 p.m. PT
Applicant's e-submission deadline
See procedure #5 below. Your final application should be submitted via the Research Portal.
Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 4:30 p.m. PT
While ORS makes every effort to submit all applications on time and to facilitate support for our research community, applications submitted after the UBC internal deadline are not guaranteed to receive an administrative review from ORS, which includes confirmation of the application's completeness.
Effective September 1, 2008, CIHR implemented a zero-tolerance policy for incomplete applications. To avoid system and other issues which may cause a delay in the submission process, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application to ORS by the UBC internal deadline.
Useful resource: ResearchNet – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Application preparation
In the “Institution Paid” field, it is critical that you select the UBC code “CAAA” from the dropdown list to ensure your application is routed to UBC ORS for approval. Do not type a response in this field or select another institution from the dropdown list as your application will not be routed to ORS for approval. For the “Location of Project” field, select the institution where the project will take place (e.g., VCHRI, BCCA, CFRI).
The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA), all other applicants and project participants are no longer required to sign the application. By submitting the ResearchNet application to ORS, he/she is agreeing to abide by CIHR’s “Meaning of signatures” detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
3. Understand and comply with faculty-specific requirements and/or deadlines
For UBC co-applicants, electronic acceptance of the NPA’s invitation to participate in the application meets CIHR signature requirements, hence no sign-off is required. However, the UBC co-apps will need to determine with their Head/Faculty whether or not they need to review the application and sign. For External co-applicants, electronic acceptance of NPA’s invitation to participate in application meets CIHR signature requirement, hence no sign-off is required.
If you are a Principal Applicant or Co-Applicant on a Project Grant initiated by a NPA at another institution, you must still submit a copy of the application with required UBC signatures for ORS review. ORS does not need to approve the application online but must still review a copy of the application.
Please check with your grant facilitator regarding faculty-specific requirements and/or deadlines.
4. Submit required pages to the appropriate ORS contact by the internal deadline
You can email or drop off the following pages to the appropriate ORS location. Ensure you have collected ALL required signatures prior to submitting to ORS, and that the documents submitted to ORS are identical to your ResearchNet submission.
- A signed UBC Research Project Information Form
- Page 1 and 2 of the CIHR Application Detail sections (download from ResearchNet under "Preview Application Materials")
- CIHR Applicant signature pages - signatures must be included for all applicants (UBC and non-UBC) except Collaborators
- CIHR Institutional page - no ink signature is required from UBC ORS because the institution is participating in the Electronic Approval Project. This means that when ORS approves your application online and submits it to CIHR via ResearchNet, the institution/Authorized signatory individual is abiding by the "Meaning of Signatures" detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
- Complete Summary page
- Budget modules including written justifications and quotes if applicable (download from ResearchNet under Application Materials - Preview budget documents)
- Partner budget details, if applicable
- Signed letter(s) of support from Partner’s (cash or in-kind), if applicable
5. Submit your ONLINE application by 12:00pm the day before the sponsor deadline
Submit your full application online by the above-stated Applicant's e-Submission Deadline. To do this, the applicant must complete and link all forms and CV type specific for each participant as described in the CIHR instructions. “Preview” all components to ensure all application tasks are complete, including the Consent. Then click “submit” your application to ORS for online approval.
Note that ORS cannot view or approve your application until you have submitted it online. CIHR will not follow up with PIs who submit an incomplete application; the application is simply withdrawn from the competition. For more information, review the CIHR Policy on Complete Applications.
6. ORS reviews your application
If all requirements are met, ORS will approve your application in ResearchNet by CIHR’s deadline. ORS has read-only access to your application and cannot make changes. If the application is not approved, ORS will return it to you for changes. ORS is no longer required to physically sign applications submitted on ResearchNet.
7. ORS approves and submits your application
Once ORS has approved your application, ResearchNet will automatically forward it to CIHR. You will receive an email from ResearchNet confirming that CIHR has received your application. No changes can be made to your application once it has been submitted to CIHR.