Home >> What We Do

What We Do

Research can be a long road. We help to smooth out the bumps and straighten the curves, getting you to your destination faster.

The staff of the Office of Research Services are dedicated to providing top-quality administrative support to UBC’s research community. Enabling excellence in research is our goal.

Contact us if you’re looking for help with any of these tasks:

  • Finding funding or developing research grants;
  • Obtaining an institutional signature for a grant application;
  • Obtaining a compliance certificate for research involving human subjects, animals or biohazardous materials;
  • Setting up a research account and spending limits;
  • Transferring research funds to my collaborators at another institution;
  • Registering a clinical trial;
  • Finding information about research funding at UBC and its affiliated institutions.

The Office of Research Services deals primarily with grant-funded research projects. For help with contracted research involving industry or government partners, contact the University-Industry Liaison Office.

Our role at UBC is complex. One one hand, we help researchers to prepare and submit their research proposals to funding agencies, and we provide the institutional signature that confirms UBCs’ willingness to take on the responsibility of the research and to comply with the funding terms and conditions. We also set up research accounts and manage the process of securing compliance certificates.

On the other hand, we are responsible for ensuring that UBC is compliant with the terms and conditions laid out in UBC participation in the Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Tri-Council agencies (NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR) and other funding agencies.

What We Don't Do...

ORS is primarily concerned with administering research grants. If you are seeking information about another aspect of UBC research, please consult the relevant department or unit:

  • For information about specific research studies or disciplines, please contact the individual researcher(s) via the Faculty or Department websites. To view a directory of UBC Faculties and Departments, visit www.ubc.ca/directories.
  • For financial advice concerning invoices, financial reports and charges to financial accounts, please contact UBC Finance.
  • For information on postdoctoral positions, contact the Department or Faculty of interest or the Postdoctoral Fellows Office in the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
  • For information about research jobs, please contact UBC Human Resources.
  • For information about UBC research in the media, or to find a UBC Expert, please contact UBC Public Affairs.


a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

Office of Research Services
TEF III #102 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z3
Tel 604-822-8581
Fax 604-822-5093

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | © Copyright The University of British Columbia